What is Palliative Care?
Simply put, palliative care helps patients who need symptom, pain and stress management when it is associated with a serious illness. Patients can receive palliative care in any setting: a private residence, a senior living community, assisted living or long-term care community.
Palliative care services include:
- Initial visit within 48 hours (upon referral and insurance verification)
- Coordination with primary care provider for pain and symptom management
- Continued care to complement existing treatments, including curative treatments
- Education on advance care planning
JourneyCare staff members are experts at pain and symptom management. At JourneyCare, palliative care is provided by an advance practice nurse (APN) with oversight from physicians. In collaboration with your existing physicians, our Palliative Care Program strives to prevent avoidable visits to the emergency room and reduce expensive hospital stays. Our team provides an extra layer of support, focusing on identifying sources of pain and discomfort, and providing recommendations for treatment options that can offer relief.
In addition to relieving pain and symptoms, our palliative care team helps you and your family understand your illness and the available care options, while also helping you identify personalized treatment goals. We provide specialized, high-quality care that can help improve quality of life, while your physicians work to manage or cure your condition.
When is Palliative Care the right choice?
The JourneyCare Palliative Care Program may be the next step to help better manage your symptoms when living with serious illness, such as:
- terminal cancer (stage 4)
- end-stage congestive heart failure (NYHA class 4)
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- other life-limiting illnesses that cause pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite and more
We can help
Let JourneyCare be your expert partner in care.
For more information or to schedule a consultation, you can also call 1-844-6-JOURNEY (844-656-8763).
Paying for Palliative Care
Palliative care is covered by Medicare and Medicaid, similar to a physician visit; standard co-pays apply. Private insurance coverage varies, but we can help explain payment options.