JourneyCare has the largest pediatric program of its kind in the State of Illinois and many of these young patients and their families need the support of volunteers. Because we appreciate how emotionally hard it can be to support children in hospice, we have designed a special training to equip volunteers with the skills they need to best support these families.
- To understand the differences between adult and pediatric hospice and palliative care
- To learn about the different types of volunteer assignments
- To understand “what it is like” to be a pediatric volunteer with JourneyCare
- To learn about the developmental stages and common pediatric illnesses of children
- To review what kinds of spirituality, communication and boundary issues come-up with pediatric patients
Date: Thursday, May 12 – 12:30-2:30 p.m.
Location: Glenview Administrative Office, 2050 Claire Court – Education Center
Presenters: Jennifer Mangers, CCLS (Certified Child Life Specialist) and Jennifer Fieten, CCLS
Given the length of the training and the importance of connecting with other attendees and panelists, there are no plans to offer this workshop through GoToMeeting at this time.
Note: This pediatric training will fulfill the annual requirement that all volunteers attend at least one education event.